Monday, June 9, 2008

Wisconsin Part 2-"Up North"

During my visit to Wisconsin, I kept hearing people talk about "Up North". It was cold enough where we were in the south part of the state, so I wondered what it was like up there! We took a road trip so I could find out. There are a lot of small communities peppered across the northern parts of the state. Some are typical little farm towns. Others are incredible communities that were founded a long time ago and have grown thanks to the help of people who had a vision of building a great place for their kids to grow up! We stopped in Black River Falls where there is an incredible community park. There was a playground, a fishing pond for kids, an amphitheater, hiking and walking paths, a skate park, and a pool! It was really cool. This statue was created to thank the family that had helped create the Community Foundation that has allowed them to build such a cool place. Sprout and Bird and I decided to go for a little hike so they could give me a taste of "The Northwoods". They explained that we were just at the very south edge of them, but that it would give me an idea. There were mostly pine trees but there were deciduous trees too, especially near the top of the hill. We saw lots of birds--little wrens and sparrows and chickadees! We even saw a little falcon in an open grassy area. I tried to get a picture but it flew away when it saw us.

After our hike we went out for lunch. We ate near a cheese factory! Did you know that 90% of the milk produced in Wisconsin goes to make cheese? With more than a million cows in the state, that's a lot of cheese--over 2 billion pounds! I guess now I understand why when people go to Green Bay Packer games, they wear cheese shaped hats. I mean, I kind of understand. Lots of cheese means lots of cheese statues, of course! Check out the size of this mouse! After our hike and my climb up the cheese statue, I was exhausted! Bird and I slept all the way back home.

The next day it was time for me to head to Ohio, but it was the last day of April, Grilled Cheese Month, and I was in Wisconsin, so SproutsMom made me a grilled cheese sandwich with some great Wisconsin Cheese. It was delicious! I had a great time in Wisconsin, but I was excited to continue my journey and anxious to head back home before long. Bye, Wisconsin!

1 comment:

American Girl Rescue said...

Oh, Sadie, sweet Sadie! It certainly looks like you've had a great trip. We miss you!