Saturday, June 5, 2010

Studio City, California

Today I arrived in California, where I met the Cali-Girls. One of them, Eddie (she's a girl but she has a boy's name! How Californian!) was pretty bossy seeming at first but once you get to know her she's only a little bossy.

This is where I am staying:


Jackie says it is a pretty typical house for the area--most of the houses around here were built in the forties and fifties, when people began to move out to the suburbs.

Eddie told me that we are in Studio City. It's called Studio City because it's close to movie studios where many movies are made. She says that right now we are about ten minutes from NBC/Universal, CBS and Warner Brothers' Studios, and fifteen minutes from Paramount Studios - wow! Maybe I can sneak in to a movie production while I'm here!

*THIS IS EDDIE* YOU CANNOT SNEAK IN TO A MOVIE PRODUCTION BELIEVE ME I HAVE TRIED AND THEY HAVE BIG GUYS THAT KICK YOU OUT AND--

Hey! This is my blog, Eddie, give it back!

Anyways, Studio City is just north of the Hollywood Hills, in the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley is where the original Valley Girls came from in the 1980s. Jackie and Libby, two other Cali-Girls here, wanted me to know that they are not "Valley Girls" as they are not shallow and interested in shopping. Eddie wanted to know what's so wrong with shopping--she just saw Britney Spears shopping on Ventura Boulevard last week. "Exactly!" said Jackie.

Ventura Boulevard is a major road in Studio City and the valley. It started out as a trail between Spanish missions called El Camino Real. Now it has a lot of great shops and restaurants on it, and has been written about in songs by Tom Petty and the Everly Brothers. The Tom Petty song is all about growing up in the San Fernando Valley, actually.



I found this music-video. It's pretty eighties, but according to the Cali-Girls a lot of this area still looks the same! Eddie says we can drive to that Cadillac dealership and the mall if we want to.

I was really hoping to see a palm tree but, unfortunately, this house does not have one. Eddie promises me I will get to see one tomorrow when we go to the beach. Because I didn't bring a swimsuit, the Cali-Girls let me borrow one of theirs, so that's neat. For now, I'm tired, so I'm going to log-off. Good night!

No comments: